CBM Lawyers is currently seeking a highly motivated and team-oriented Director of Finance & Administration. Reporting to the Partners, the Director of Finance & Administration is responsible for overseeing the financial and administrative functions of a 25+ lawyer insurance litigation boutique.
- To manage and provide leadership to the firm on all issues assigned to the role and serve as a key member of the firm’s management team.
- To ensure accurate and effective accounting functions including, financial reporting, accounting, billing, trust accounting and partnership accounting.
- To monitor accounting and billing procedures to ensure compliance with client requirements.
- To review all accounting procedures on an ongoing basis to recommend new efficiencies where appropriate.
- To manage the firm’s accounting staff.
- Annually, in collaboration with the Managing Partners, to help establish strategic and business planning for the coming year, which includes creating annual operating and capital budgets of the firm.
- To ensure that effective billing and accounting practices are in place to enable sound financial and practice management of the firm
- To provide accurate monthly financial statements to the Managing Partners.
- To provide accurate monthly data to each of the firm’s lawyers.
- To ensure complete and accurate information is provided to the firm’s tax accountants.
- To manage payroll, including providing information to a third party provider.
- To ensure compliance with Law Society trust accounting rules.
- To ensure that all government remittances are processed and paid on a timely basis
- To work closely with the Managing Partners and Human Resources Manager to develop appropriate policies, training, operations and technology strategies that will ensure the most efficient use of firm resources.
- To coordinate insurance coverage and risk management.
- To oversee the annual renewal of lawyers with the Law Society and compliance with any annual reporting requirements.
Candidates for this position should hold at least a Certified Management Accountant designation. Extensive experience in a similar role at a law firm may be considered as an alternative to an accounting designation.
The ideal candidate will have 7+ years’ experience in a law firm where you have worked closely with a management team. Some experience working in accounting at a law firm is required.
You must have excellent leadership and management skills. Strong communication skills, in person, on the phone and via email are required.
Command of ProLaw or an equivalent legal accounting software is also required. Experience with e-billing software is an asset.