Tom Schmit, Partner
In my previous career as a commercial pilot and Aircraft Maintenance Engineer, I learned the importance of flight planning, trouble-shooting, and problem solving. I have been able to apply those skills to my legal practice where I act for insurance and aviation clients, developing strategic plans for the successful conclusion of every new file. My work in the aviation sector for Canadian, London market and US insurers, operators and brokers, includes liability and insurance coverage issues and often involves regulatory matters, complex mechanical failures, and pilot or operator error defence. I frequently act on files in the jurisdictions of Yukon, North West Territories, Alberta and British Columbia. Whether the file involves aviation, manufacturer defects, motor vehicles, commercial liability, fire loss, professional liability, or other complex claims, I believe in taking the most practical and effective approach. I have appeared before courts at all levels in all of the jurisdictions in which I am called, including the Court of Appeal of British Columbia, Yukon and Alberta. I have also appeared before the Transportation Safety Board and the WCB Appeals Board and have represented clients at Coroners’ Inquests on multiple occasions.
- Year called to the Law Society of N.W.T. – 2008
- Year called to the Yukon Bar – 2007
- Year called to the Bar of Alberta – 2000
- Year called to the Bar of British Columbia – 1998
- University of Saskatchewan: LL.B. – 1997
- University of Saskatchewan: B.A. – 1994
- Named a leading practitioner in Aviation Law by The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory 2017-2021
- St John Ambulance Board of Directors since 2010.
- A.M.E. License, 1993
- Commercial Pilots license, 1989
- High School Athol Murray College of Notre Dame, 1987