Damian Shepherd, Partner
I have represented insurers almost exclusively since being called to the Bar in 2003. During that time I have handled almost every type of file that auto and property and casualty insurers have to offer. I also have extensive experience defending lawyers against professional negligence claims. I have been fortunate enough to take matters as wide ranging as defamation claims and coverage disputes to trial. I have appeared at all levels of court in Alberta and handled matters in the Federal Court of Canada and the superior courts of British Columbia, Saskatchewan, the Northwest Territories and Nunavut. Of course, formal litigation is now the road less travelled and a requirement of a modern litigator lies in identifying settlement opportunities or simplifying litigation as early in the life of a file as possible. When I first look at a file I try to identify those opportunities even if it means challenging the views of my client. Clients appreciate that candour and view it as one of my strengths. I feel fortunate to practice in an area that I find interesting and still find settling a file to a client’s satisfaction gratifying.
- Admitted to the Bar of British Columbia – 2014
- Admitted to the Bar of the Northwest Territories – 2012
- Admitted to the Bar of Alberta – 2003
- University of Alberta: LL.B.
- University of Manitoba: M.A.
- University of Regina: B.A. (Hons)
- Volunteer work – CBA Mentorship Program
- Frequent presenter on insurance law for insurers
- Sessional Instructor – Civil Litigation and Dispute Resolution – MacEwan University (School of Business)